Saturday, December 6, 2014

Staying Cozy On A Stormy Day


Last night was a very chilly night. I slept underneath a heavy pile of blankets and quilts on my sisters hideaway bed. When I awoke this morning, the sound of my four year old nephew and the smell of freshly brewed coffee pulled me out of my dream state. When I finally convinced myself to get up, I discovered the snow storm outside my window. I had planned on going into the forest to gather spruce and pine branches to make a wreath. Instead, I opted to drink some coffee and stay warm inside.


Last weekend, my sister and I did go into the woods and gather branches for some holiday decor. She still had some bunches remaining on her porch. She decided that this morning would be a fun time to make her wreath. She had ribbon, pine cones and other decorations on hand; so it all came together nicely.


The pine was very fragrant. I decided to preserve the comfort of the scent by creating a simmer to go on top of the wood stove. After my sister had completed her wreath project, there was a lot of needles and small branches left behind. I gathered a few pine branches for the simmer. I threw the pine into a pot, then added the peelings of two clementines, a 1 1/2 capfuls of vanilla extract, a few heavy shakes of ground cloves and a few heavy shakes of apple pie spice. I filled the pot half-way with water and set it on the wood stove to simmer. The house smells like Christmas!


Freddie's favorite spot is on the floor; right in front of the wood stove. It is very hard to get him away from there. The rest of the day will be devoted to relaxing. With any luck, the weather will improve tomorrow and I can return home. After I settle in, I'll be back to being crafty! Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...