Monday, December 15, 2014

Cookie Of The Week: Sugar Cookies


Every year I make a big batch of sugar cookies for Christmas. I put on some radio station that plays 24 hours of non-stop Christmas music, I put on my apron and I dive in. Usually, it is very time consuming, which is why I only do it once a year. Today, I really wanted to make sugar cookies and, apparently, everybody else in the house was craving them, too! When I finally got around to making the dough, I'd totally forgotten about my "go to" recipe and looked for one in a cookbook. The recipe that I first looked at used a bunch of powdered/icing sugar and you had to let the dough chill for 2 hours! It was then that I remembered another recipe that I had, written down and tucked away in another cookbook. Here it is-

Sugar Cookies
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. shortening
2 c. flour
1 egg
3/4 c. sugar (granulated)
1 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
A dash of salt

Directions:
Let the butter and shortening come to room temperature and place in a large bowl.
Cream the butter.
Add sugar to the butter and cream.
Add the egg and vanilla extract to the sugar and butter mixture and cream until fluffy.
Add one cup of flour, the salt and the baking powder to the butter mixture and blend.
Add the milk to the dough and blend.
Add the remaining flour and blend into fully combined.
Split the dough in half, cover each ball of dough with plastic wrap and chill 30- 60 min.
**The dough will be sticky, this is to accommodate the flour that will be added when the dough is rolled out on a floured surface.


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Roll out the dough, one mound at a time, on a floured surface and cut out cookies with festive cookie cutters. If dough is too sticky, just add a bit of extra flour to the surface, it will blend together as you roll the dough out.


Place the cookies, evenly on a baking sheet and bake 7-9 minutes. If you're baking two pans at once, rotate your cookie sheets half-way through cooking time. This will help the cookies bake evenly. Allow cookies to cool before frosting.


Once the cookies cooled, I frosted them with homemade frosting. The recipe for this frosting is on last week's cookie post. I sprinkled tinted sugar and sprinkles on some of the frosted cookies, too! These are so yummy, I think I've had three, maybe four already with some coffee! Now, I have some wrapping to do. Until next time~ Toodhaloo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...