Monday, December 8, 2014

Cookie Of The Week: Gingerbread Men

I had a marvelous and wonderful plan for today. It was going to be filled with baking and decorating. I dressed with a snazzy Christmas t-shirt and Christmas Argyle socks. I was primed and ready for a very merry day. Then, the realization that yet another storm was creeping it's way towards my direction. Ordinarily, this would not be a huge issue. However, I'd planned on going shopping for presents and stocking stuffers on the very day that the storm would be at it's most fierce. Therefore, my plans had to be changed. I didn't get home until late afternoon. By the time I got home, I still had to check emails, etc. and I needed to make French Toast Casserole for the nights meal. By the time the meal had been consumed and I'd cleaned up, I still needed to bake cookies. I didn't get things done until ten minutes before 9:00 pm. I was a bit bothered, as I had assured you yesterday that my post would return to it's normal schedule today. As such, I can make no promises for tomorrow, life is too unpredictable.

When I had originally planned on baking gingerbread men cookies, I considered that various recipe options: a tried and true recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, a Martha Stewart recipe or a recipe from an old cookbook from the 1950's that I found, containing hand written recipes. Anyone of these would have been delightful. Ultimately, I relied on the naughty route- the Betty Crocker Gingerbread Man cookie mix! I found it a Walmart and grabbed it for those "just in case I'm in a bind" moments in life. Really, all I wanted was an adorable cookie and I think I've achieved that.


Not to disappoint, I did make my own icing. Here is the recipe:
1 cup Confectioner's (Powdered) Sugar
1 tbsp butter (softened)
2 tbsp milk

In a medium bowl, combined the butter and sugar. Blend at the lowest speed while adding milk a little at a time. Once all the milk has been added, blend until smooth on low speed. Once combined, change the mixer speed to the highest setting and whip for 3 minutes. This will ensure that the butter is fully mixed and the frosting won't separate.


Once the frosting was mixed, I scooped it into a quart size ziploc bag. When I was ready to decorate, I cut a tip off of one corner, in order to pipe the frosting onto the cookies.


I baked the cookies according to the instructions on the bag of cookie mix. I let the dough chill for a few hours before I rolled the dough out and cut out the little men. I allowed the men to cool before I added the decorations.


Here are the most adorable cookies that I've made since I was 5 years old! I love how some of the candy buttons are shaped like gingerbread men. I could resist using raisins for the eyes. I hope these taste yummy, I'll find out tomorrow. These will be wonderful with a hot cup of coffee. I'll enjoy these when I'm decorating the house, tomorrow. I'll let you know how it all worked out. Now, it's 9:30 at night and it's time for me to have a nice cup of hot cocoa. Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...