Thursday, December 18, 2014

I Made A Kindle Case


One day I was passing my time, scrolling through pins on Pinterest, when I came a across a cool tutorial on making a Kindle cover. What I really liked about this project was that it re-purposed old books. I love projects that involve re-purposing materials, so I thought I'd give it a try. A link to the original tutorial can be found here- http://www.cometogetherkids.com/2011/12/kindle-cover-from-hardcover-book.html. The blogger did an excellent job explaining the steps. I did my project a bit differently, though.


I began my project by gutting a couple of books that I got at a thrift store. Be sure to keep those inside pages to use for other projects!


Then, I took two pages from the book that I gutted and I used them as a template for the fabric pieces. I used a ruler to mark a space for the spine. I cut two pieces, the same size. One to use at the back material and one to fold in half to use for a pocket.


For the next step, I ironed the fabric, taking one piece, folding it in half and pressing it in place. After that, I sewed the pocket piece onto the bottom half of the rectangular fabric piece. I placed a kindle on top of the pocket and marked out where I would sew the seam for the Kindle pocket.


Here, I sewed the straight stitch, to create a pocket to hold a Kindle.


As in the original tutorial, I used heat bond to adhere the fabric to the inside of the book. Since I had a raw edge and visible stitching along the lower perimeter, I folded the sides under and pressed them in place before applying the heat bond.


When I can locate my glue sticks, I'll attach the elastic strips to the corners. This will help hold the Kindle in place. I wanted to have a pocket on both sides so that I had a pocket to keep a pen and a small journal. Usually, I need to write things down when I'm working online. So, having a journal and pen handy is very helpful.

Other than using a sewing machine in a few places and adding an extra pocket, I didn't deviate too much from the original tutorial. I had fun doing this and it was very easy to do. I can't wait to use the left over book innards to make angels tomorrow! Until then~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...