Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Super Cool Citrus Kool-Aid Bath Bombs


I'm going to be honest, there are a lot of things out there that I love. I love bubble baths and relaxing baths. I love to make my own bath treats. I LOVE Pinterest. For over a decade, I have kept a notebook at my desk, which I use to write down recipes. These recipes are not food recipes. Rather, they are recipes for home remedies and diy beauty products. When Pinterest came out, it made the process of locating recipes that much easier! Lately, I seen a huge amount of diy bath bomb recipes. The bath bomb is nothing new; it is certainly not a Pinterest generated creation. I have books that are far older than Pinterest that have recipes for such delights. However, Pinterest does have various recipes at hand, which enables me to compare and contrast ingredients and technique. 
So, I wanted to make a fizzy bath bomb. One of those treats that you drop into your bath water and the bomb begin to foam, makes tiny bubbles, release scent and pretty colors. The thing that bothered me about these recipes was that they all call for citric acid. I am not at all opposed to citric acid. It is essential for the bubble production. My beef with citric acid is that it is a bit of a pain to locate. During the jelly making season, it is easier to spot at the store. However, in the off season not only is it trickier to locate, but it is a bit pricey for a project that is supposed to be an inexpensive diy. Yes, I could find some online, but I don't want to do that. I really like my projects to be as hassle free as possible.

After doing a bit of research, I discovered that the citrus flavored Kool-Aid contains citric acid. Kool Aid not online is super inexpensive, but it also contains coloring and scent. This is great, because it helps me skip a few steps in the bath bomb making process. Also, if this craft failed, then I didn't invest a whole lot of money. So, here is my Super Cool Citrus Kool-Aid Bath Bomb craft.

For the craft you will need-

1 large mixing bowl
1 measuring cup
measuring spoons
latex gloves
10 oz. baking soda
4 packets of Strawberry Lemon Kool-Aid
2 packets of Lemon Lime Kool-Aid
6 oz. cornstarch
6 oz. Epsom Salts
4 tsp. water
4 tsp. olive oil ( grapeseed oil would also work)
6-8 drops orange essential oil (Optional)
6-8 drops grapefruit essential oil (Optional)
mini muffin molds


In a large mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and optional essential oils and blend. In a measuring cup, blend the olive oil and water.


For the next step, you need to do wearing gloves, this is just to prevent the salts from drying out your skin. Also, if you have any cuts, salt would really hurt on the cut. In this step, you will SLOWLY add the water and oil blend. If you try to dump it all in at once, the moisture will activate the citric acid and it will ruin the fun. What I did that work best was, I mixed with one hand and slowly drizzled the liquid onto the top of my hand as I mixed. This made the water mixed very slowly mix with the powder. Also, because I was mixing as I drizzled, I was ab;e to blend the water into the powder before the citric acid could activate. The end result should look a bit like biscuit dough.


Using a measuring spoon, I evenly distributed the dough into mini muffin cup molds. Make certain to firmly press the dough into place.


I set the molds aside and I allowed the bath bombs to dry for 24 hours. Once they were set, I was able to remove them by flipping the pans upside down (much like remove cake from a cake pan) and they came out easily. These smell fantastic, a fresh burst of citrus punch! I store these in a dry/ air tight jar and they are ready for luxurious bath time. I made so much, I have extra for friends. 

Next time, I hope to make coconut oil lotion bars. I just need to locate one ingredient to make them. So far, I have not been very successful at finding what I need. With any luck, I'll be able to snag it this weekend. Until next time~Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...