Friday, February 13, 2015

Perfectly Pink Cereal Treats


One of my favorite movies to watch, when I'm in the mood for something silly, is the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married." I don't think that the movie was a smash hit, but it's something that I enjoy watching on days when I'm so heavy with cold or a headache that I'm too pathetic to function. It's fun to curl up under a pile of blankets and watch a light-hearted comedy. The movie appeals to me for many reasons. One of the things that I like about the movie are all of the funny lines that I like to quote. There is a scene in which the main character decides to ditch her best friends party. Her mother fervently protests and gives of a long list of reasons why she must go. One reason that her mother felt rather strongly about, was due to the fact that she "baked Rice Krispie Squares" as though she had slaved in the kitchen "baking" this marvel of a treat.

The treat, like the movie, is a classic. I can remember many Christmas and Valentine's Day parties at school where at least one classmate brought in Rice Krispie Treats. This was back when it was still okay to bring sweets to school and nobody knew anyone with a peanut or a gluten allergy. So, since tomorrow is Valentine's Day, I thought I'd "bake Rice Krispie squares." I made mine extra special.



You will need:

Two cups chocolate chips, any flavor you like
3 tbsp butter
1 (10 oz) pkg of pink marshmallows ( mine were peppermint flavored)
6 cups of Rice cereal


In a large mixing bowl, measure out the cereal and place into the bowl. You want this to be ready when it is time to add the marshmallow mixture.


In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat.


Add the pink marshmallows to the pot of butter.


Spray a wooden spoon with non-stick butter spray and use that to stir the marshmallows and butter until thoroughly melted and smooth. The marshmallow mixture can get very hot, so it is important to use a stirring utensil that can hold up to the heat. When I was in Jr. High, I made the mistake of using a rubber spatula and totally melted the rubber into the marshmallow mixture; so yes, you CAN mess up this recipe. I sprayed the wooden spoon so that it would be easy to get the marshmallow mixture off of the spoon.


Pour the marshmallow mixture onto the the cereal and blend; make sure that all of the cereal is evenly blended into the mixture.


Once the cereal is blended and the mix begins to cool down, dump the mixture into a greased 9x13x2 inch pan.


Spread the cereal mixture evenly into the pan and press into place. Mmmmm, pink marshmallowy goodness.



Then, melt the chocolate. You can use whatever method you like. You can melt the chocolate using a double boiler or you could melt the chocolate in the microwave, like I did. Whatever method works for you, do what you like. Once the chocolate is evenly melted, stir the chocolate and pour it onto the cereal that was pressed into place. Quickly spread the chocolate evenly onto the surface of the cereal. You might need to work quickly, as the chocolate can cool fast.


Allow the chocolate to cool and harden, then cut the cereal treats into squares. There you have it, delicious pink cereal treats to celebrate Valentine's Day. It takes very little effort and only a few ingredients, but it makes me super happy. In fact, I think I might watch "Peggy Sue Got Married" tomorrow and snack on these delicious treats while I watch! I can't begin to explain how much I love pink desserts. I have more projects that I'm currently working on and I will explain more on that in another post. Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...