Thursday, February 19, 2015

Looking Towards Spring: Nature Journals


Now that we are in the middle of February, I console myself with the knowledge that Spring is not far away. I recently acquired the book The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden and this book is beautiful. I already had in my library The Edwardian Lady by Ina Taylor. It is a lovely companion to the Holden book, as it is a biography on the incredible life of Edith Holden. The Handbook Of Nature Study is an excellent resource for nature study. It was published in the same period of Edith Holden's nature journals. The Handbook Of Nature Study is full of ideas and challenges for nature study, as well as some background information on flora and fauna. I also have numerous resource books on tree and bird identification. The nature journals created by Edith Holden are so  nice to look at during these frigid days. She was an accomplished artist and illustrator. The book includes not just watercolor paintings of plants and animals, but also poems, Bible quotes and little bits about each month.
These books really are inspiring me to begin a nature journal this year. However, I think I'll wait until Spring. Were I to attempt to make a journal now, the pages would just look like blank pages. There is nothing but snow around. I did spot two birds outside my kitchen window yesterday and decided that they were drunk. Two drunk birds who wandered out of the nest and deeply regretted their choices. They were full of loathing.
On Pinterest, I saw a post about making a travel size art kit. I thought that it was a brilliant idea. In previous years, I've dabbled in nature journaling and it involved a heavy messenger bag filled with watercolor pencils, notepads and books. I think this will be an easier approach.
Here is how I made my travel nature journal-

A variety of textured paper for a variety of medium and small tubes of watercolors.

A travel portfolio, an Altoids tin and an empty gum pack.


I wanted to make a small sketch pad that could easily fit in my little portfolio. I also wanted various types of paper on hand so that I could have the option of drawing instead of painting, if I wished. I gathered several pages from my paper supply and I folded them in an accordion style; this made the pages easier to cut to size.


I added a small piece of cardboard to use for stability when using the paper. I attached the paper to the cardboard with a small clamp.


I tucked the pad of paper in a pocket in the back of the portfolio. This portfolio came in a binder style, which included a small note pad (great for taking field notes) and it also included a detachable, clear ruler.


I trimmed the empty gum package to fit inside my mint tin. I placed the package inside, so that it was nice and snug, and then I added some watercolor paint. I will be able to use the lid as a reservoir for water. If I'm outdoors, I'll have a water bottle with me; so I'll be able to get water from that.


The tin of watercolors is tucked inside the portfolio and there is extra space for pencils, sharpeners, erasers, brushes etc. I also have extra pockets that could hold my phone (in case I wanted to take some photographs). This will be great to keep in a bag with a resource book, and that will be enough for when I'm out. I can always add my artwork to a journal later and add anything else to that journal. This just makes the load a lot easier and a bit more practical for taking quick notes outdoors.

This is just one of many reasons why I love Pinterest, that site is such an excellent resource for inspiration! By the time this is posted, I will be out and about with my bestie and having a fabulous girl day. Apparently, it is going to start snowing tonight and continue into the morning. I really hope that this does not put a damper on tomorrow's plans. If that does happen, I'm sure I can entertain myself in some way. It won't be nearly as exciting as a girl day, though. My fingers are crossed for an excellent girl day! Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...