Friday, May 1, 2015

How I Became Truly Outrageous For One Night Part 2

This day has been a very relaxed, but busy day. The sun has finally bright and the skies are blue. The air is warm and fresh; which made it the perfect day to spend out side, cleaning up the yard. Now that I've raked the leaves and cleaned up my garden, I feel super mellow. I'm glad that I happen to have a back up foundation, in a darker shade, because I forgot to put on sunblock and being outside for 45 minutes gave me a bit of color. So, I'm at my desk, listening to cheesy boy bands from the 90's- 2000's, sipping tea and enjoying some biscotti. Suddenly, I remembered that it was Friday and I was going to post about the accessories portion of my Jem costume.

I think we can all agree that the most important accessory in Jerica's/Jem's wardrobe was her star earrings. It was these earrings that allowed her to communicate with Synergy and transform from Jerica to Jem at a moments command. These are not easy to find in stores, however they are very easy to make.


I used a clean milk jug to draw stars onto with a Sharpie marker. I tried to find an exact shape of the star online. When I watched the cartoon and when I looked at images online, I found that the shape of the star varied and it was never really consistent. I settled on a shape and carefully cut out the shapes with an Exacto knife. First, I did a rough cut around the stars. Once I had the the pieces removed from the jug, I used scissors to trim the plastic to the desired shape.


Nest, I used a red nail polish to paint on top of the star. I used NYC polish in 131A Big Apple Red. The markers from the Sharpie were visible at first, but after a few more layers, they were hidden.


I let one layer of the red polish dry before adding a second layer of the polish. While the polish was still wet, I sprinkled silver craft glitter on top of the paint. This made the glitter stick to the plastic. I let the glitter settle and the polish dry over night.


The next day, I painted another layer of the red polish on top of the glitter to seal it in place and I let it dry.


After the layer of red nail polish dried, I painted a final layer of pink nail polish which had specks of colored glitter in it. It also happened to be strawberry scented polish, something I hadn't experienced since 1999...



For the final step, I needed to figure out how to turn these into earrings. Initially, I planned on gluing studs to the back of the stars. I decided to go a very less complicated route. I took some small dangle earrings with hooks and used good old fashioned duct tape to adhere the earrings to the back of the stars. I could have used hot glue, but I didn't want to bother. 


Here is the end result of all of those layers of nail polish. They were super sparkly and they looked a lot like what Jem wore on the cartoon series. They were easy to make, too.

I needed shoes for the costume. I didn't want to go all out with crazy shoes. I wanted to wear something that I could walk around in, dance in and to return home at the end of the night without aching feet. I decided to used some old booties that were cracking, to upcycle to some pink sparkle boots.

Before

After

All I did for this was paint several layers of magenta glitter acrylic craft paint. I used a 2 oz. bottle of Plaid Folkart Extreme Glitter Acrylic Paint. I almost bought two bottles, but only bought one instead. I'm glad that I did, because I only used half of the bottle. The boots were very sparkly. They reminded me of a pair of Doc Martins that I had my eye on when I was in high school. Those boots were being sold at a hippie store in the town where my sister was attending college. I went there every time I visited and I always ogled those boots. As much as I wanted them, I couldn't see myself paying $80.00 for glitter boots. It was the 90's and I was a teenager, I wasn't going to spend that much money on a pair of shoes back then. So, years later I got to have some glittery boots and they were fabulous. 

For my handbag, I found a neon green glitter plastic makeup bag at the Dollar Tree. It was the same size as a standard clutch and it had a top zipper and a zipper on the side. It made the perfect clutch to hold my lipstick and phone. When it came to my makeup, I used Wet n Wild lipstick (Hot Paris Pink) and I set it with Elf blush (Pink Passion). I used Wet n' Wild lipstick in Dollhouse pink on my lips and I contoured with Wet n Wild bronzer (Ticket To Brazil and Reserve Your Cabana). I pretty much followed the tutorial that Kandee Johnson posted a few years ago on youtube. There are a number of great makeup tutorials for Jem on youtube, but I like Kandee Johnson, so I followed her instructions.

Phew, that was a lot information! I hope that this is helpful if you find yourself needing to make a Jem costume. I had a lot of fun be truly outrageous for a night. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one at the party dressed in costume. Now, I have another costume to add to my costume chest. Now, I have some Boyzone and Take That on standby, because what 36 year old woman wouldn't? I'm off to enjoy some lovely nostalgic music and finish my tea. Until next time~ Toodaloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...