Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Wacka Wacka Guacamole

Today is Cinco de Mayo, such a fun day! The sun is shining and after a long winter and a long cold spring, it is finally warm. This is a time for a nice festive meal! With my family, we never have authentic Mexican food for this day. I do, on occasion, make authentic Mexican food. However, some times we like things that are a bit less involving. I decided that what I could not go without is my guacamole. My sisters love it, my nephews even dig it. So, here is how I make it.....


Slice 3 avocados in half and remove the pits. I carefully slice a cross hatch cut in the fruit, avoiding the skin. This makes it really easy to scoop the fruit out and it is already cubed for the mix.


I add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice ( lime would work, too), 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, a tablespoon of dried cilantro and several shakes of cumin (to taste).


I use a pastry blender to mash the avocado and to blend all of the ingredients together. Using the pastry blender allows you to see the exact texture that you desire. I like my guacamole to be slightly chunky, almost like the texture of large curd cottage cheese.


This is how it looks when it is ready. This has such a nice, fresh flavor to it. Sometimes, I add a bit of salsa to the guacamole (1/4 cup), but I left it as is, this time. If you have any left over, be certain to squirt a bit of lemon juice on top and leave it, don't mix it. This will help prevent oxidation and keep your guacamole nice and Shreky green.

In other news, the weather has been so splendid lately, I couldn't help but do some yard work. It is so nice to finally be outside, with the fresh air and warm sunshine! Yesterday, I did some work on my herb garden. I also planted a basil plant and a cilantro plant in a pot. This will make some tasty sauces, sandwiches and salads all summer.


I love the smell of fresh herbs. When the rosemary, sage and mint grow and the wind catches them, the scent in the back yard is heavenly. I wish we still had our rose bushes, but we do still have the lilacs. I have that to look forward to. I hope to add more wildflowers to the flower garden this year, too. I want the bees to love my back yard. They do like the flowers that grow on the herbs. I hope my herbs help the bees to make some tasty honey. The goal for this summer: more flowers, wind chimes and nature journaling. I'll let you know how that works out as I go along. I hope that you re-create this guacamole and have a delicious time! Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...