Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Nutty Chocolate Biscotti On A Rainy Afternoon


This week has been one of those weeks that is typical of April. This has been a very damp and cold week and I hope it leads to really beautiful flowers in May. When you live in a small town that lacks cafes and bakeries, it can be depressing when you find yourself craving a bit of decadence. Lately, I've been craving biscotti and decided that the best option was to search Pinterest for a good recipe. I stumbled upon a recipe for chocolate biscotti which was pinned from Martha Stewart's website (www.marthastewart.com). I decided to try that recipe, because Martha never fails me. I added my own flair to the recipe, with the addition of walnuts and 1/8 cup of instant coffee granules.


The recipe was very easy to follow. You just need to plan ahead of time so that you have softened butter for the dough. The recipe said to shape the dough into a log and flatten the log. I found that it was easier to do when that I placed a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the dough. This also helped me to eyeball the size and shape of the dough. Then, I placed it in the oven and baked according to the directions in the recipe. (I removed the cellophane first, obviously.)


After baking the dough for 25 minutes, I took it out to cool and reduced the oven temperature. I let the giant cookie cool for 5 minutes and mid-way through cooling time, I began cutting out the biscotti. First, I cut off the ends. Then, I cut the rectangle in half, length-wise, and then I began cutting in 1 inch wide strips. The dough expanded quite a bit while baking, so this made a surprising amount of biscotti. I arranged the biscotti  on their sides on the baking sheet and allowed for plenty of space between the pieces. When the oven cooled to the right temperature, I baked the biscotti for 8 minutes. I didn't bother to dip the biscotti in melted chocolate or drizzle chocolate on them. I like them plain. They are very tasty as they are.


I enjoyed these with a nice cup of black coffee and had a girl moment, eating these whilst watching last night's episode of "Younger" on www.tvland.com. I really do love that show; Sutton Foster is great, I remember her from "Thoroughly Modern Millie." Debbie Mazar is a hoot, it is fun to see her on television again; although, I love her on the cooking show "Extra Virgin." It's simple delights like these that make life fun. Now, I must finish this up so that I may do some yoga. More on that subject in this weekend's post. I haven't forgotten about part 2 of my Truly Outrageous post, that will be up on Friday. Time to stretch...Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...