Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Lovely Sunny Sunday


Today we were treated to a warm and sunny day. This is a first after many gloomy days. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and I even saw my first baby squirrel of the year. I began my morning with a trip to an antiques auction. I didn't find anything that I really liked, so I didn't stay for the full run. When I returned home, I immediately began work on a few craft projects. With the sunny weather around me, it gives me hope that warmer days are ahead of me and with warmer days, brings skirts! I've had this sun dress for a few years and was never 100% happy with the dress. I prefer to dress modestly and I love the bottom part of the dress, but the top has always bothered me. In fact, whenever I've worn this dress, it was always with a t shirt layered on top. This morning, I decided to refashion the dress.


Before leaving for the auction, I carefully cut the top off of the dress and tried to dye the dress. I boiled a large pot of water and added two packages of lemonade flavored Flavor Aid to the water. I dunked the skirt into the bath and removed the pot from the heat. I allowed the skirt to steep in the bath while I was away for the morning. When I returned, I discovered that I didn't use enough Flavor Aid to tint the skirt. So, I added several drops of yellow food coloring and a few drops of red food coloring. I still wasn't satisfied. I then remembered my herbs and spices. I pulled out my powdered saffron and added a tablespoon of that to the bath. I should explain that I am well aware that saffron is expensive. Under normal circumstances, I'd never think to do such a thing. However, this small bottle of saffron was gifted to me by my sister when she returned from her honeymoon...sixteen years ago. I used the saffron numerous times to make many tasty dishes and now I'm finding a new use for it. Rest assured, I still have plenty left. For added measure, I shook in a bit of tumeric powder, too. These are wonderful for dying fabric and have been used for coloring fabric and yarn for ages. It worked like a charm!


After tinting the bath, I let the skirt soak for the rest of the afternoon. Then, I squeezed the liquid out and rinsed the skirt in cold water and hung it up to dry. Now I have a sunshine yellow skirt, just in time for the warmer weather. It is loose, it flows and it is a nice length. This will be perfect for the humid days of August. This is something else to look forward to.


I rounded off the afternoon with a delicious Sunday roast; mmm, tomato gravy. With a full belly, I tidied up the kitchen, whilst watching a documentary on Netflix about Richard III. Then, I poured myself a mug of coffee and took a walk around the neighborhood with my dog, Fred. He was so excited. Fred had to smell every tree that he encountered, which made the walk twice as long as it ought to have been. Now, I'm considering which fuzzy pajamas I want to throw on. What I do know is that I will make myself a chocolate molten mug cake to enjoy with my Sunday night PBS marathon. The rest of the week will be busy with a project that I'm working on. I'll share more details about that, once it is complete. I'll also share a few baking projects sometime, this week. This is going to be a very fun week. Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...