Friday, April 3, 2015

Making A Recycled Candle


Throughout the week, I have slowly been cleaning the house in anticipation for the weekend holiday. I also took a few moments, here and there, to focus on some crafts. One of these crafts was a Recycled Candle. My sister used to make these, years ago and she referred to them as "Zombie Candles." However, I'm not certain if I would go with that name, because Zombies are the un-dead or a reanimated corpse. However, "Frankenstein's Monster" was a creature that had been assembled, like a patchwork rag doll, by body parts from numerous cadavers. This is a more accurate description of these candles. I think my candle looks like a layered bean dip, but it smells lovely.


I held on to a number of old candles, knowing that I wanted to make a Recycled Candle. When you really love the scent of a certain candle, it is such a bummer to have to toss it out once the candle reaches a certain level. It is also very wasteful. Not to mention all of the jars that could be reused for non-food storage. Most of these candles either smell like a baked good or an outdoorsy smell; so they go nicely together.


I alternated the candle layers by color; so it was a light layer, then a dark layer.  I recycled a taper candle that was too thin to use and I reused the wick that was inside the candle center. Then, I put each candle in simmering water and melted the wax. Then, I removed any debris at the bottom of the jar before pouring the warm wax into the new jar. I let each layer solidify before adding another layer. The top layers of the candle smell like spicy baked treats, such as apple pie or pumpkin spice. Then, the lower layers smell like the woods or patchouli jasmine. The end result was a nice success and it will be nice to burn on cold and gloomy days.

Today, my focus was to complete the Spring cleaning fest and then make handmade candy for the holiday. I finished the cleaning and then, right when I was going to sit down to blog, I was tricked into making supper. I had already made homemade bread sticks. Suddenly, I was making the whole deal (which was spaghetti with a spicy tomato and hot Italian sausage sauce, coincidentally) and I still needed to make the candy. Immediately after cleaning up the mess from supper, I began the candy making process. I'm making chocolate covered peanut butter eggs and chocolate covered cream eggs (with a white and gold yellow center). The cream eggs were not as easy to make as described in the www.instructables.com tutorial, but I made it work. I have yet to cover the treats in chocolate and I think I might put that off until tomorrow, because I'm tired. More about the candy and other holiday crafts will be shared tomorrow, Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...