Thursday, October 23, 2014

Delicious Squash Waffles


Four years ago, I changed my Thanksgiving tradition a bit and began celebrating the holiday at my sisters house. This makes perfect sense. Both of my sisters live very close to each other, but they are 100 miles away from me. They also have children and it is so difficult to travel with children; especially after a long day of feasting. It is much easier for me to travel there to enjoy the holiday and it makes the celebration process a more pleasant experience for my sisters, too. That being said, I don't get a lot of Thanksgiving leftovers. Sure, I bring a plate of miscellaneous pie slices home, but I don't get that yummy squash, cranberry sauce or turkey.

This week I decided to have and early Thanksgiving. After seeing so many tweets from Canadians celebrating their Thanksgiving, I really wanted a feast. We used butternut squash from the garden and it was delicious, but we have so much leftover! This morning, I decided to not let the squash go to waste and made fluffy squash waffles. With spices added to this mix, it has all the warm flavors of Fall. Here is the recipe: 1 egg
                                      5 tablespoons of squash
                                      1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
                                      1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                                      1 1/3 cup of milk
                                      2 cups of baking mix (Bisquick)

 Directions: In a medium sized bowl, or a 4 cup measuring cup, add one egg. Beat the egg until light in color and fluffy. Add the squash, vanilla and spice and mix until smooth. Add half of the milk and mix, then add the baking mix. Mix all together, adding the remaining milk as you mix, until the batter is thick and smooth. Pour, or ladle, batter onto hot oiled waffle iron and cook according to your waffle setting. Remove and enjoy! This made 5 large waffles.

This was so delicious, especially with a hot cup of black coffee. It's a great way to use up leftovers. If I still had leftover cranberry sauce, I could have folded that into the batter at the very end before pouring onto waffle iron; that would have been fantastic!

In other news, this Nor'easter is crazy, but I'm taking the time to indulge in watching a marathon of "The Forsyte Saga." It's also a great time for cozy crafting. One of these days I need to get on track and post about the quilt constructing- the cold weather is fast approaching! As soon as I complete another craft, I'll be certain to share with you. Until next time~ Toodahloo!

2 comments:

  1. Well this looks delicious. Want to eat it right now. Great post.

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Leja- Thanks, they are fantastic and super easy to make!

      Delete

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...