Sunday, September 21, 2014

Chicken Noodle Soup and A Mug Of Hot Spiced Cider


I took this photo, the other morning, while on a walk with Fred. I found the perfect spot to gather acorns for Fall crafts. I decided to take a shot at this spot, because in a few weeks it will look completely different. I wanted to have a reference point so that you could see the seasonal change. Tuesday is the first official day of Fall, but we've already had a major frost here. We'll certainly experience a few hot days in October, it always happens. I've had Halloween nights that were warm and a bit muggy. I've also had Halloween nights with a foot of snow on the ground; anything goes, here!


In preparing for the colder months, I gathered some of my kale from the garden to dehydrate. Before I dehydrated the greens, I put them in cold water for a few hours. This made the leaves perk up and it also helped to get rid of all of the snails hiding within the pile. Whenever I see snails like that, I can't help but think of the movie The Worst Witch and the scene where "Ethel Hallow" turned the mean witches into snails. I really didn't wish to dehydrate snails along with my kale.



After cutting the stems and spines off of the kale leaves, I stacked layers of kale in the dehydrator and let the magic begin. Two-three hours later, I had dried kale to use later.


From all of the kale that I collected, I made two gallon sized bags of dried kale. I still have more to pick later. This will be great to use in soups this fall and winter.


While I still had some unexpected energy in me, I baked some apple crisp. This was the first batch that I've made this season. I enjoyed it warm while I watched spooky shows on Netflix. Once again, I'm back to feeling a kind of crummy with this cold that I have. However, a bit of chicken noodle soup and some hot spiced cider has helped tremendously. I hope that this week, I'll have the energy to sew, maybe even work on my quilt. I am very excited that the season two premiere of Sleepy Hollow is on tomorrow night. Then, Tuesday I'll celebrate the first day of Autumn by decorating, cleaning and some baking. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the new season of Steven & Chris airs tomorrow afternoon! I'm so excited, I'll share all the goodness soon.
 Until next time ~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...