Wednesday, July 30, 2014

A Lesson In Patience Through The Art Of Butter Cream Frosting


Over the years, I have wrestled with the quest for the perfect butter cream frosting. I had made many valiant attempts at confectionery perfection, but was always one step behind. Often times, when I would bake a cake that required frosting, I would cheat and buy frosting in a can or I would make a frosting using milk, flour, granulated sugar and shortening. Last Sunday, however, I didn't have patience to endure the grocery store. I did have available in my cupboard butter, milk, cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar. I decided to be approach this butter cream challenge with thoughtful planning and pre-game research.
I really wanted chocolate cake; so like any baker desiring cake while lacking motivation, I used a box mix. After adding extra cocoa powder and a tablespoon of instant coffee granules to the batter I placed the cake into the oven and waited. It was then that I removed my butter for my butter cream from the refrigerator and left it out to come to room temperature.
Making certain that my butter was at room temperature was my first strategic move. Most times when I make a frosting, I'm making it on the fly and I'm never properly prepared.  This time would be different. When the cake was out of the oven and properly cooled, the butter was at the perfect temperature for making frosting. The second change to my frosting preparation was measuring and mixing ingredients ahead of time. First, I blended the cocoa powder with the confectionery sugar, making sure that all the lumps were broken and the powders were mixed well. Then, I measured and mixed my milk and vanilla. 
I had my wet ingredients in one cup, set aside and my dry ingredients in a bowl placed next to the cup of milk mixture. This might seem silly, but having these ready before I made the frosting was a big help. The biggest and most important change I made to my frosting was 1) the type of bowl I used: medium and deep, and 2) time. Usually when I would try to make butter cream, I'd never whip the butter long enough. Once the butter started to fly out of my mixing bowl I would add sugar, mix add cocoa powder, mix then add the liquids and mix. I would do this as quickly as possible so that I wouldn't make a huge mess. I would still have clumps of butter flicked all over the counter, the wall and even the cupboard doors.
This time was different. Using a deep bowl helped to control the butter better and it allowed me to whip the butter for 5 minutes! That seems like a ridiculously long time compared to how long I'd usually take. This required a lot of patience on my part, as well as faith in what I was doing. I had to trust myself. Once the butter was a pale yellow, I turned off the mixer. I added the cocoa powder mixture, a little at a time and I used a butter knife to mix it together. Once all of the dry ingredients were added, I then add the milk and vanilla mixture. Again, I used a butter knife to blend it together. Once everything was evenly blended, I turned the mixture back on and whipped the frosting until it was fluffy.
It was amazing! The frosting was fluffy and tasted like fudge. It was easy to apply to my cake and the frosting never separated! A first in my history with butter cream frosting. I have finally mastered butter cream and it all came down to preparation and patience. Axl Rose was right, that patience thing is really all we need!
Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...