Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Refashioning A T-Shirt Into A Dress

Back in the Spring, I spotted a t-shirt marked down to $4.00 and thought it would be fun for a refashion project. The shirt was a simple black and white striped cotton t-shirt with cuffed sleeves. I grabbed a medium and a large. I thought that I would use both of the shirts to make a dress, but I later decided to use the medium and gave the large to my Mum. I decided that a solid t-shirt would make an interesting contrast to the look of the dress.

I began the project by cutting the shirt two inches below the arm pit. I did the same with the solid blue t-shirt that I decided to use for the project.
Next, I paired the upper part of the striped shirt with the bottom of the solid shirt. Joining the cut edges, with the right sides facing, I sewed a straight 1/4 inch seam.
After seeing that the seam was (slightly) uneven, I stitched the seam again and made the seam straighter. Then, I took the bottom of the striped shirt, matched the cut edge to the bottom of the solid t-shirt and sewed another 1/4 seam.
 After making certain that everything was straight, I ironed the dress.
For a finishing touch, I added 1/4 elastic to the waist. I cut the elastic half the length of the solid section; this way, I could stretch the elastic as I sewed it in place. The end result was a lovely ruched waist. This also adjusted the hemline, bringing the length just above the knee.
This is a very comfortable dress which will be perfect to wear on really hot and humid days. It was such an easy project and I like the way the dress came out. I think I might want to do another ugly dress refashion and I have the perfect dress in mind. I hope to tackle that soon.
 Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...