Friday, July 11, 2014

Some Crafts Fail

There days when I think that I am an extraordinary marvel at crafting. Then, there are other days when I think that my heart just isn't in it. Then, there are those days when my heart has grown two sizes, I have jazz hands and everything that surrounds me is glitter, rainbows and unicorn smiles. When those glitter/unicorn smile days occur, nothing can stop me..not even a mediocre craft fail.

I had the perfect supplies: recycled olive jar, Gallery Glass Window Color, satin ribbon and glue. What could go wrong? I've used the glass paint numerous times over a span of 10 years; I have a fairly good handle on that. I thought I would make a lovely marble style votive candle holder. I applied the paint with ease, swirled it around and left it to dry on a windowsill. I figured the draft would help to speed up the drying process.
What I didn't take into account, or rather who I didn't take into account, was the cat. On sunny days, the cat does love to nap on the windowsill. With all of the windows in my house, I didn't consider worrying on what the cat might or might not do. It wasn't until the end of the day that I discovered that the cat had fun rolling the jar back and forth. At first, I thought that it would be fine, that she just marbleized the jar more. Upon further examination, I discovered a spot where the excess paint pudding into one place, creating one murky looking mess on the side of the jar. I tried to fix it, but nothing could be done.
Undaunted, I glued a satin ribbon on the top rim of the jar and placed a candle inside. It is a functioning candle holder. I think that it will grow on me, even though it didn't turn out as I had envisioned. Perhaps by Fall, I will warm up to it even more and enjoy spicy scented candles in it. I will look upon it as the craft project that I did with the cat; and love it more for it. Really, at the end of the day it's just an old olive jar with a candle inside, no matter how much I decorate it, it is what it is.

In other news, I intended to make a dress today, but the moment passed when my time was devoured by what was supposed to be a simple addition to my blog. If I work everything correctly, I will get a Facebook badge on the blog which will direct you to my new Facebook page. The page is listed under Lady Toesocks. Also, I might or might not be changing the name of the blog. I am still on the fence about this. It all depends on 1) if I have to and 2) if I am able to do so. I will keep you updated on that. Hopefully, I will complete the dress project tomorrow and post about it on Sunday. Until then~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...