Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes

Over the week, I've had a terrible time getting onto the internet. Really, the problem has been more about keeping a connection once I've logged on. It makes it very difficult to get anything done, especially a blog post. Now, after some tweaking and some weather changes, things are seemingly better. I have been able to get on and stay on, which is why I am now taking a chance at writing a blog post. So, over the week I've been keeping myself busy with cooking and baking. It's been a great week for it, since it has been below freezing for most of the week. It was difficult to be inspired to do much of anything with such humdrum weather.

Last Friday, I made lemon curd filled cupcakes. Like the week before, I've been craving summer flavors and nothing is more summery to me than lemon. Lemon curd is shockingly pricey at the grocery store, especially when I know how easy it is to make and with such little ingredients. Taking the extra time to make lemon curd (from scratch) makes all the difference when you're using it in desserts.
** I adapted a Lemon Curd recipe from cookbook called "Cooking With Fruit" by Payne and Senior. I didn't follow it completely, but I wanted to give credit. It is a fantastic cookbook if you can get you hands on it.


I began by separating five eggs yokes from the whites. Keep those whites, you'll need them later. I placed the yokes in a small saute pan with 1/2 cup of sugar. On medium heat, I began mixing the eggs and sugar with a wooden spoon.


I continued to stir the mixture for four minutes. Once the mixture was foamy and light in color, I added 1/2 cup lemon juice. Then, I stirred the juice in for another minute.


Then, I switched tools and began using a wire whisk. I had 1/2 stick of butter to add to the mix. I did this a little bit at a time. I took a little pat of butter and whisked it into the lemon mix for 1 minute. Then, I'd add another pat of butter and whisk for another minute. I continued to do this until all of the butter had been added. This took about 10 minutes to complete. As time wore on, the mixture continued to thicken. I made certain to keep whisking in order to keep the mixture smooth.


Once the curd was able to coat the back of the wooden spoon, I knew that it was ready. I set it aside to cool while I worked on the cupcakes.


So, I totally cheated and used a Pillsbury cake mix. Since I was making the curd and the frosting from scratch, I decided to give myself a break with the cake. There is no need to be a hero; after all, they're just cupcakes. Those egg whites that were saved earlier were used for this batter. I baked the cupcakes according to the directions on the back of the box.


While the cupcakes were baking, I made a cream cheese butter cream frosting. I used 4 oz. of room temperature cream cheese, 1/2 stick of butter (room temp.), ~1/4 cup of milk, 3 cups of powdered sugar, 7 drops of red food coloring, 8 drops of blue food coloring and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. I whipped the butter and cream cheese until it promised to be good frosting, it took about 4 minutes. Then, I slowly alternated between the sugar and milk and when I had the right texture, I added the coloring and flavoring. As with any butter cream frosting, you just have to work it until you have it the way you want it.


Once the cupcakes had cooled, I poked holes into the tops, using the handle of a mixing spoon. This created wells to hold the curd.


I spooned the lemon curd into a quart size freezer bag and clipped off the end so that I could pipe the curd into the cupcakes.


Lastly, I spooned the frosting on top of the cupcakes, making sure to not disrupt the curd. Then, I gently spread the frosting in place being careful not to swirl the curd into the frosting.

Now, I have a delicious cupcake staring at me, waiting to be devoured. I will admit that these are anything but low fat. However, if you've made it this far in the process, you probably aren't concerned with that anyway. I mean really, if you're going to enjoy a cupcake, go big of go home. It is January, it's freezing and I have the metabolism of a puma. I'll enjoy rice cakes in July, when I actually feel obligated to worry about such insane burdens.

I will end the post here, because I've already lost my connection once whilst writing this. More to follow next time. Until then~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...