Friday, April 23, 2010

Judy Blume and Other Things

'Tis late in the evening and realized that I neglected to talk about Judy Blume in my previous post, which is silly of me, considering. Then again, considering the title of my post, it stands to reason that I am a bit absent minded.
I should be sleeping, as I am tired and I have a busy morning ahead of me tomorrow. I felt that I needed to write about some of my favorite childrens book authors. For some strange reason, I have always confused Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary. I'm not sure why that is, but to this day, I still confuse them.
I know that Beverly Cleary wrote the "Ramona" books, while Judy Blume wrote books like "Blubber." Perhaps, I confuse them because they both had young girls as the major characters and they wrote for similar audiences. However, I think that if you read their books as an adult, you'll find bigger differences.
I never read the "Margaret" book that Judy Blume wrote. In fact, I think that a lot of her books I shyed away from as a young girl, because I was a bit skiddish about the subject matter of them. Last summer, my library was having book sales all throughout the summer. During one of these sales I grabbed the book "Blubber" and after reading it, I really wished I'd read it when I was a young lass. I'm not sure why girls act like they, sometimes, do. I think that everyone should read the book. It is odd, the movie, Mean Girls shows how girls behave when they are put together. When you watch the movie, you're sort of glad that you're out of high school. Then, you turn on the tv, and Bravo has they're own version in the form of the series Real Housewives. Oddly, a lot of the women on the show are single and I'm pretty sure they spend more time at parties than at home. At least, that is the bulk of what is shown- parties, fashion shows, and cocktail hour with the ladies. I guess the kids are with the nanny. So, that may not be what they do when the cameras are gone, and I'm sure the show is editted that way. I guess somebody thinks that seeing cat fighting at a party is more interesting than seeing these women actually being housewives.
At any rate, it's hard seeing grown women behave that way, and I wish they would all get a copy of "Blubber." I think that it would make them be better people. Maybe it's easy to revert back to behaving the way we did when we were kids. However, when you're an adult, with an adult heart and you read that book- everything comes back to mind. All the awful stuff you endured as a kid. It's harder as a grown-up reading that book, because we've all been there. The thing is, it reminds even the kindest heart to try harder. That's my thoughts. Until next time~ Toodaloo!

1 comment:

  1. I read "Blubber" as a kid(around 12 or 13ish)and I can tell you that I felt really bad for the girl being picked on because I had been in that place(diff situtations, but still.) But I agree that it does teach you to have more compassion for people.

    ReplyDelete

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...