Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chocolate Guacamole

So, last weekend, out of boredom, I decided to be adventurous with one of my cookbooks. I pulled out one cookbook which uses trickery in the kitchen; i.e. adding vegetables to dishes without detection. Since I am not sure how copyrights go, I'll neglect to name the cookbook. I'll just say that you can find it in a lot of department stores and it is a fantastic and fun cookbook.

So, to the point.... I've used the recipes in the book before, but mainly, only the main dish recipes, never the desserts. Here is where the adventure begins.

The recipe was Chocolate Pudding. Only, it didn't include eggs, or milk, or even granulated sugar. It did have cocoa powder, powdered sugar and avocado---Jump Back!

The process of making the pudding was much less tedious than the traditional method. However, I did deviate from the recipe a bit and used a mixer to fluff it up a little.

Was it any good? Yes, it was very chocolatey; as such, I highly recommend this when you need a serious chocolate fix. Did it taste like pudding? Not exactly, this stuff was pretty dense and a little grainy. It actually tasted like brownie batter. So, if you like eating brownie batter, now you can do it without care. Did it taste like chocolate guacamole? It depends on who you talk to regarding this issue. Yes, initially, I could taste the avocado. However, after a few bites, it wasn't noticable. I think that if an unsuspecting consumer tasted it, they probably could tell there was something different about the pudding, but wouldn't know what it was.

More importantly, I had a 9 year old eating this whenever I said it was okay. So, if a kid will eat it, it was a success. He knew about the fruit in it, because he saw me making it, and was rather fascinated with the idea.

I think that if you added some flour and baking soda to the mixture, you could make some awesome brownies with it. I highly recommend this to my vegan friends because the only ingredient that would need alteration would be the margarine. That is an easy switcheroo!

In other news, today I am spring cleaning- sort of. My bedroom is getting cluttered, so I bought another set of book shelves. I think this will help me reorganize my stuff and then I'll feel less claustrophobic in my room. Also, I am nearly done with the quilt that I've been working on. So, all in all, it will be a busy week. Until next time~ Toodaloo!

1 comment:

  1. I think it may just be time for me to take a leap and buy this cookbook. Have you had enough success with enough of the recipes, in respect to young people accepting them, that you would recommend this for my little crew?

    ReplyDelete

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...