Monday, October 26, 2009

I Finally Finished the Rag Dolls!



It is true. After blogging about these rag dolls; I was finally able to put the time into completing the dolls.



The doll on the right will be for me. The doll on the left will be going to the daughter of a family friend. Each Halloween the little girl comes to our house first for treats, even though she lives in a neighboring town. I try to make each gift of treats special. Last year, I made a book that looked like it was an ordinarily hardcover book, but hidden inside the pages was a compartment which hid away a candy stash. This year, I decided to make her a rag doll. The candy stash is going in the dolls trick-or-treating bag. The little girl is at that age where she can still appreciate dolls, but she'll soon be too old for trick-or-treating. So, I wanted this years treat to be memorable.

So this year, I am taking one of my nephews out for Halloween. I am going to take him through the long route that my siblings and I took as kids and he'll get quite a loot of candy that way. I told him to look through my catalogue of Halloween costume patterns and I'd make him which ever costume he chose. I was expecting something macabre, like a zombie or something. Instead, he picked a Renaissance peasant. I asked him if that was what he really wanted and he is certain that is what he wants to be. I feel very lucky, because it is such and easy costume to sew. As luck would have it, I went to the thrift store the other day looking for dresses to turn into a "Wednesday Addams" costume for myself. I thought that it would be easy to find the dress and a shirt to wear under it, especially in a thrift store. Well, I found many black dresses, but none of them were close to what I wanted. However, I went to the fabric section, and I found a big brown curtain, made of heavy fabric, green velour, and a fancy bed skirt with a gold pattern on it. Each bundle was about two yards of fabric; providing enough material for my nephews costume and something to make for myself. It all came to $6.00, which is so cheap for good fabric. So, I am going to make myself a Renaissance princess with the extra fabric. I made a design, and I have to take my measurements today so that I can make a pattern. I'll post the results later on, when the costumes are made.
I am really glad that Halloween is on a Saturday this year, it will enable me to get a lot done during the day. I plan on making some yummy treats, Halloween chili, and watching classic spooky films. I'll update on the progress of the costume assembly. Until then~ Toodaloo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...