Thursday, August 7, 2014

I Made This



I made this laundry soap. I have been on Pinterest for a few years now. My sister turned me on to it and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I am one of those people who can lose an entire afternoon pinning. Sometimes,  log on looking for a recipe and hours later, it's after midnight! Some of my favorite pins are household cleaning tips and recipes. Last year, I discovered the soap Zote at Family Dollar. It cost a little more or less than $1.00. I had never seen it before, and now I can even find it at Walmart! Intrigued, I bought some to make into detergent. I love this stuff. I've made the liquid soap that your let set overnight and it looks like a bucket of mucous. I'm not really into that. I do like a powder detergent.
Zote is great, it's pink and it smells like citrus. .....and it's pink, did I mention that it's pink? It's pink!


It is a large, soft (PINK) bar that is very easy to grate. I'd compare to grating cheddar cheese. One bar produces a lot of shavings.

I add 1/4 cup of washing soda and 1/2 of Borax and (in a container with a lid) shake it all together. I use this detergent for my linens. Since I always wash my linens in hot water, this is perfect. A little goes a long way. I use a 1/8 cup scoop, and I usually use two scoops (or 1/4 cup). I could get away with one scoop, but two scoops seem to make me feel a bit more confident. I don't know how this would work in cold water, as I've never tried it. I just know that I love this for linens, it cleans and freshens them.


I also like to make linen spray. I reuse an empty spray bottle. One of my favorite scents is the ocean. I developed my own formula for a scent that mimics what I think that smell is like. I start by adding two tablespoons of baking soda, because baking soda neutralizes odors, to the spray bottle. To that, I add one tablespoon of sea salt. Then, I add 6-8 drops of peppermint essential oil, 4-6 drops of lavender oil and 4 drops of rose oil. Last, I fill the bottle with hot water and shake. I use hot water to better dissolve the salt. This is great to spray on the curtains, upholstery, etc. It's a light scent that is not overpowering.

I'm still perfecting my liquid detergent formula, I need to do more research on Pinterest for that. I've tried many, but have yet to find one that I really like. When I do, I'll share it. Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...