Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I Made A Shoulder Bag Out Of Trousers


These lovely trousers had an unfortunate experience in the washing machine. They were not washed on the correct heat setting, causing the fabric to shrink. To make matters more awkward for the pants, the lining of the pants are made of a different material, which is resistant to shrinking. So, the lining was longer than the pants. I decided to keep the pants to use for a craft project. I wasn't certain what I would do with them, but I don't like to throw away good material. I never know when I'll be inspired.

Lately, I've been wanting a new bag that I could throw over my shoulder that could not only hold essentials, but also a lunch. I needed a bag with ample space. I measured the pants, starting at the crotch, to decide a suitable length for shorts. Perhaps sometime, late summer, I'll fashion some "Zoe Hart" inspired shorts. I set aside the top of the pants and used the legs to make a bag. I saved the lining to use to line the bag. Cutting along the inseam, I had a large amount of fabric for the front and back of the bag. I used another pair of brown trousers to use for the handles and for a outside pocket for my cell phone.

I used an assembly method based on that used for a basic tote bag. The end result being a very roomy bag that is 17 in. x 21 in. This will give me plenty of space to carry my wallet, my cell phone, an emergency make-up kit, a folder and a lunch. It would also be great for those long days where I'm running errands.

 It will be fun to make some late Summer/ early Fall shorts, in a few months. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the warm weather, while we have it. I look forward to more baking, gardening and crafting over this summer. All of which I will share, until then..~ Toodahloo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...