Monday, August 4, 2014

Making A Quilt Pt. 1

A few weeks ago, I washed my "Anne Shirley" quilt and I hung it out on the clothes line to dry. When I pinned the quilt securely on the line, I couldn't believe what I saw. My quilt was in such a state! In a specific area, many patches were either threadbare or practically gone. One reason the quilt was damaged was because some of the patches were made from inferior fabric, while others were ruined by dogs. I decided two things: 1) I need to repair the quilt with better material and 2) it's time to make a new quilt. Now is the time to start constructing my quilt if I want to have a one by October. So, I pulled out some fabric, some old shirts and some of my quilting books. I spent Saturday morning pouring through my quilt books, looking for some inspiration. I think I know what I want to do.


I have a pile of old flannel shirts that my Dad no longer wears. I never let him get away with tossing out his shirts. Even though the shirts might have been worn out for shirts, they still make excellent material for projects! The next step in the quilt project is preparing the fabric.  I cut up the shirts to get as much workable fabric as possible, and waste as little as possible. I even save the buttons, I never throw away good buttons.


These flannel shirts are soft and are made of excellent material. They are meant to be washed regularly, so they can stand up to the washing machine. They will also make a very warm quilt.


I cut a cuff from each shirt to repurpose as a coffee sleeve. They have buttons and finished button holes already! These are great to keep in my purse. That way I have them handy whenever I order coffee from the coffee shop.
Next time in the quilt series, I'll be cutting and making squares. Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...