Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Skirt Make-over

When I first spotted this skirt, I noticed the color first, then the texture...wool! What I really liked about the skirt was that it had big, deep pockets. I really adore pockets and they are not always easy to find with skirts. Without pockets, I feel vulnerable...how will I keep lip balm on hand without pockets? What I didn't like about the skirt was the length, easily fixable; but then I spotted the worst offense of the skirt, a deal breaker in the form of an elastic waistband! I returned the skirt to the rack and walked away. However, all weekend, I kept thinking about that skirt and those lovely pockets. I knew that I had to find a way to work it out. So, once Monday arrived and the store was open again, I went back and bought the ugly skirt. The waistband was a gift with purchase. :)
I decided to not use any particular pattern and to use my own design for this piece. First, I removed the excessive length.
 
Then, I cut off that waistband, but I didn't throw it away too soon.
 
I used the extra material that I cut off from the bottom of the skirt to recycle into a waistband. Using the dreaded elastic, I cut a piece from the original waistband and attached it to the back of the new waistband. However, this one is cleverly hidden inside, as I sandwiched it between the fabric. This will provide a hidden belt.
 
With some more left over material, I made a strap with a button hole and added a button to the waist ( the button was a scrap from another project and matched the  buttons on the pockets).
 
Before
 
After
 
 
 
 This is a lovely skirt for Fall and will look adorable with many different sweaters and accessories. The pockets are so deep that I can hold many tubes of lip balm, that is great! I really love the color and the hidden elastic makes me happy. Next, I'll be working on a potato stamp project and that will be a messy adventure. I still have many refashion projects ahead to keep me busy the rest of summer. I will continue to post these as I go along. Then, Fall will be here and I'll have plenty to share then too. Until then~ Toodahloo!
 









No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...