Saturday, November 22, 2014

My Makeup Organization

My nail polishes are now organized into groups by shade.

It all began so innocently, my makeup collection. I, like a number of girls, started out small. A bottle of Tinkerbell perfume was exchanged for a bottle of Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth. Electric Youth was passed on for Tommy Hilfiger's Tommy Girl, which was then surpassed by Ralph Lauren's Romance. Much like my perfume love, my love of makeup grew. A tube on Bonne Bell Lip Smackers lovingly placed in my Christmas stocking began a serious love for makeup. I had a humble kit, just the essentials. Yes, I had a bit of a nail polish collection, but when it came to liners and blushes, I had one of each. The only makeup that I had in multiples were nail polish and lipstick.

Then, I discovered Pixiwoo tutorials on Youtube and everything changed. I had a few makeup instruction books and had grown up a bit obsessed with Vogue magazine. I was into fashion and makeup, but it wasn't until I actually saw makeup me applied properly that I began to become "enthusiastic" about cosmetics.

Before I began watching makeup tutorials, I didn't see much point in a collection of makeup brushes. I'd never seen gel eyeliner in use and applying false eyelashes was always an event that tested my sanity. Once I started watching Nic and Sam Chapman, the sisters of Pixiwoo, apply makeup with confidence and ease, it all looked like tremendous fun! Then, I began watching other makeup artists on Youtube. The more I watched, the more confident I became. Then, my makeup collection began to grow.

First, I should admit that I was never squeamish around makeup before. Rather, I was less inclined to wear it out in public. Whenever I did wear makeup, it drew odd comments that were meant to be compliments, but left me feeling confused. Hearing someone utter "You look so good, with makeup, you look like a model." To me this said "You look like crap without makeup!" So, my comfort level had to grow before I could allow myself to be more adventurous with makeup. Not that I didn't wear it regularly through college, but I always played it safe. I studied theater in college, so I knew how to apply makeup, but that was for the stage, not in normal daylight.
The second level is all for the eyes. 

Finally, with confidence and a lot of enthusiasm, I grew my collection, which is all drugstore makeup. I'd rather invest my money in good shoes than to spend my money on a luxurious eye shadow palette. Fortunately, the internet is a great resource to help One find great drugstore dupes. So, the little makeup bag that could, one day couldn't. My collection grew too large for a sensible makeup clutch. I then began to organize using stackable drawers. I had two, which became too small. When I was having my girl day out, this week, my friend had an extra set of drawers that she didn't need. So, I acquired another set of drawers and began to re-organize my collection. The month of November I had dedicated to organizing in preparation for December. So, this really made me happy to finally get the kit organized.
The top level is for the face.
I will need to get more drawers in the future. I couldn't fit my eye shadow palettes or my lipstick collection in the drawers. I'd like to have a drawer just for blushers and a separate drawer for bronzers and highlighters. For now, this works; I can open drawers without the drawers catching or sticking because they are too full. Any stage makeup will need to go in a set of drawer organizers that will be away from the every day makeup. It is just nice to be organized and to have things nice and tidy. This makes life a lot easier and way less hectic. I must say that even though I have a bit of a collection, I've seen far greater collections. I've seen makeup gurus on Youtube with a closet full of makeup. However, they also write blogs all about reviewing makeup. My collection might be larger than it once was, but it is still quite modest in comparison. At the very least, it is organized!

Tomorrow, I will be posting a craft and the rest of the week will be building up to Thanksgiving. Then, in December, I will be attempting to blog every day leading up to Christmas. There will be a lot of crafting and baking happening on the blog for the rest of the year! I am very excited and I hope that I actually follow through with the daily post. I think it would be a lot of fun.
Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...