Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Merlin Is Depressed

Poor kit cat. I wondered how the loss of Brandy would affect Merlin. Just last week, he started acting peculiarly. I think it finally occured to him that our Puppy Love was gone. He kept sneaking outside ( he's an indoor cat) and into the attic or in the cellar. I think that he was searching for his pal. So, I gave him some treats today, and I am going to find some herbs at the health food store to sprinkle on his food. I researched online and found suggestions on how to alleviate his melancholy.
I was reading Volume IV of The Select Journals of Lucy Maud Montgomery in one of her first entries she wrote about the family dog having died. She and her little boy, Stuart, were heartbroken. She asked whether or not it was worth it to love creatures so much, if your heart could break so harshly ( I'm paraphrasing, here) . Then, she came to the conclusion that it was worth it in the long run, to had been able to know the dog, and play and love it at all was a joy. She wrote about her pet cats, she had a lot throughout her life. She loved her cats, dearly and often included cat- human relationships in her novels. As funny as some of her stories about her cats were, it was tragically heart wrenching to read her words of sorrow after the death of one of her beloved cats.

I think Merlin, will come around, with extra treats and kisses, he'll recover as we all must do. I believe, that in a few weeks time, he'll start to put on weight, and by October, he'll be a bit of a "butterball." I guess, I'll have to wait and see. Until next time~ Toodaloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...