Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Ending My Hiatus


If you've been reading my blog for a time you might have observed that I will take sporadic breaks from writing. This really isn't unusual for those who blog as a hobby. I really needed to take the rest of the winter off. This past winter was dreadfully long and a bit dull. The snowstorms seemed to be ceaseless and just as it seemed as winter was coming to a screeching halt another snowstorm would creep in. It was a constant battle with the shovel and I was exhausted. So now it is May, Labor Day weekend and I feel ready to catch you all up. I think I will be having an evening writing session, where I will write several posts and schedule them to publish throughout the week. I have a cup of tea and my British boy band song list playing and I am in the zone....brace yourself.
In March my husband decided that he wanted to get a puppy. The kids had been campaigning for a while, approaching us the various adorable photos of random canines that they found on online shelter pages. The dogs varied from purebred to mutt, compact and giant and it was getting ridiculous. At one point I had one teenager messaging me about a dog, while the other teenager was messaging their father about said dog. I was on to them and I was not going to cave. However, my husband thought that it would be a good idea to get a puppy who could learn under the tutelage of Flynn and become a great companion. He was on the lookout for a good candidate when he found a litter of beagle pups that were up for sale. He immediately contacted the breeder and an appointment was made. Fortunately, he wasn't asking for much money for the pups and the tiny splurge was well within our budget- we lucked out. We were excited and eager to meet our new family member but had to wait. We had a specific puppy in mind, based on the photos that were sent to us. The week of our appointment we were counting down the days towards meeting our pal. Then the clouds grew dark and we were hit with a massive snowstorm, a blizzard to be exact, the day before our appointment. The next morning the sun was shining brightly and the snowploughs cleared the fluff away from the roads. The town was over an hours drive away and the breeder lived on a mountain...seriously...a mountain. Undaunted, we armed ourselves with coffee and decided to enjoy the road trip.
When we made our way to the breeders home, we were greeted by older beagles from previous litters as well as the beagle parents. Then the breeder opened the door to his home and let out the pups. Most of the puppies ran past us towards their parents, while two ran to us. One of the pups who came to greet us was the same puppy that we saw in photos and had hoped that we would bond with him. It was an immediate connection and the decision was made. If you follow me on Instagram or Tumblr you would have seen many posts of our Rory. He is a very smart beagle, full of love and energy. He is very obedient and follows Flynn around everywhere Flynn goes. He also loves to cuddle on my lap and be by my side whenever he can. Keegan could take or leave Rory, he tolerates him. Murr washes his paws of him and Millie wishes that Rory was a little less curious about her, but ever the lady, she remains patient and poised.

Since bringing Rory home he has grown quite a bit and he's not finished. He's learned a few tricks and has worked up the courage to ride in the car, so long as Flynn is with him. Overall, he is a wonderful companion and very loved by everyone in the family. He even likes to go with me to visit my parents and socialize with their dog. I am grateful for the opportunity to have him as a member of the family and will likely share more about him in other posts. That about sums up what was happening at the end of winter, I will update you on other topics in later posts to come. Until next time~ Toodahloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...