Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Mildred Hubble (the Housecat) Is A Mum

Proud Millie with her babies.
When we brought sweet little Millie home last October, she quickly became my cuddle bug. That first weekend she stayed on my lap most of the time while I binge-watched the entire second season of Stranger Things. Mildred was always meant to be my companion but was also intended to be a partner in crime for Paddy Murphy, Murr for short. Once Murr became comfortable around a new ball of fluff in the house, he never left her side. He was so happy to have a friend who was like him, rather than the dogs who seemed to love Murr but played too rough for his liking. Millie proved to be a fantastic companion and she grew up quickly. She is a delightful queen who grew up to be a very beautiful lady cat.
Then, the change came. One Friday night I had begun a frightful binge on the show Glitch I was up into the wee hours of the morning and when I woke up the next day, I turned the show back on and devoured it....my love for this show has little to do with Millie other than the fact that I was so engrossed that I overlooked Millie's insatiable need to breed moment. Now, as I said before, Millie was adopted so that Murr could have a family of his own. He has an appointment to be neutered this week. However, my husband thought that it would be a good experience for me to witness the birth of a cat or two or three in Millie's case. He also thought that it would be good for Millie and Murr to procreate before being fixed, as it would help them be calmer the rest of their lives. For a while, there was a lot of speculation as to whether Millie was "heavy with puppy" or not. As time passed the distinct feeling or furballs in her belly was prominent.
I was a nervous cat mum, to say the least. I had only witness kitten birth in the movies and I had a feeling that it wouldn't be as quick as had been seen in the movie The Adventures of Milo & Otis. I made certain to do my research so that I knew what to do should Millie need assistance. I don't know if there is a "What To Expect When Your Cat Is Expecting" book, but it would have been nice.
When it came closer to her time, I paid close attention to her activities. I didn't want her to give birth in the crawl space or in my closet, so I made a birthing box in my office for her. Having a birthing box/nest for her in my office ensured that she and her kittens would be safe from inquisitive dogs and would put her at ease. One day I observed that she had been going behind my books on the bottom shelf of my bookcase. I saw that as a warning that her time was near. The night before the birth she spent the entire night at my side. It isn't unusual for her to sleep with me, but usually, she would sleep with me for part of the night, get a snack, play downstairs, then up with me again for a sunrise snuggle. This time, however, she slept curled up next to me the whole night, never leaving my side. The next morning I was having my coffee and I noticed that she was once again behind the books and scratching the shelf. I asked her to come out and she refused, so I removed the books, scooped her up and immediately placed her in her birthing nest. I left my coffee and cell phone in the kitchen.
(L-R) Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Bumblebee.
When Millie got in the box and didn't jump out of it, but instead curled up into a ball I knew something was up.  I quickly ran to the kitchen and grabbed my coffee and phone as I wanted to document the birth as well as keep my husband up to date on the progress. Then, poor Millie started panting. This was when her "Blue Lagoon moment" began. She didn't know what was happening, but her instinct told her what to do. I turned on some soothing nature sounds on Youtube on my phone to help her relax. With the sounds of a bubbling brook and chirping birds playing I became my kitty's doula. With some serious fidgeting and probably the worst cry that I ever heard come out of Millie, Optimus Prime was born...breach. About half an hour or so later Megatron and a few minutes after that out came Bumblebee. Optimus Prime was the only boy born. He looks a lot like Murr, Megatron is all stripes with a white belly and Bumblebee looks like a perfectly fluffy cow, she is the perfect mesh of Murr and Millie.
Optimus Prime and Bumblebee

Optimus Prime and Bumblebee
The kittens thrived and in a week they will be off to new homes, with the exception of Bumblebee (whom I call "Bumbles". Fear not, all the kitties will be staying with the family. O.P. will be going home with our oldest and his girlfriend. Megatron will be going home with the younger two kids to their Mom's house so I know that the kittens will be loved and well cared for.
Murr had proven to be a very good father. At first, I was very nervous about introducing him to his children. I was afraid that he would eat them after seeing horror stories online and from having my mother tell some gruesome tales. Happily, Murr is very doting on his children. He protects them from the curious nudgings of Rory and he gives them baths. I have found that he is very much back to his old kitten self in terms of having a very loving nature towards his humans and I think that he is much happier now that he has a complete family. Am I a crazy cat lady now? No, I don't have enough cats, turtlenecks or sweater vests for that. I have just enough cats and dogs to make life interesting and less lonely when my husband is away at work. If you follow me on Instagram you've likely seen a dozen posts of my kittens already. If not, check me out to stay up to date. I post on Instagram and Twitter far more often than I do on Facebook or the blog. I want to blog more often, but summer tasks make that more of a challenge. I think I might have found my groove though, so maybe there's hope for me yet? Until next time~ Toodahloo!

Rory snuggles with Optimus Prime

P.S. Megatron is a bit more shy than the other two kittens, but she is healthy, cuddly, and very sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Hosted a Tryazon Party Featuring Wiley Wallaby Licorice

  Before I begin writing about my party experience I want to first disclose a few things. First, I was not paid by Wiley Wallaby or Tryazon ...